Course Level Assessment
1) Each instructor or group of instructors will develop
assessment instruments for every course.
- Instruments should objectively test what students
have actually learned
- perfectly acceptable to use existing tests
- unacceptable to just use final course grade
- Instruments should provide information which indicates
what might be done to improve student learning the
next time the (or related) course is taught.
2) Reporting will follow a standard format containing each of
the following sections:
- list of course objectives - should match syllabus
- the instrument itself with description of how
it was administered
- results of assessment instrument
- discussion: "What this assessment tells me as the
- recommendations for change, e.g., topical order,
teaching techniques, tools, course materials,
texts, videos, or technology requirements.
Example: Physics 211 Fall 2000
3) Reports should be submitted to department chairs within one
week of the end of each semester.