- Applying for VA Benefits/Veterans Intent to Register Application and Checklist (pdf)
- A New GI Bill for a New Century
- VA GI Bill Feedback System Link
- VA Comparison Tool Link
Trinidad State Junior College is approved by the Colorado State Approving Agency for Veterans Education. Our degree and certificate programs are approved for payment of educational benefits to those veterans and dependents that are determined eligible by the Veterans Administration. Veteran education benefits are administered through the TSJC Financial Aid Office. While this office cannot determine eligibility, the primary function of the School Certifying Official (SCO) is to certify and report enrollment information to the Veterans Administration to facilitate the receipt of benefits by eligible students.
To Apply for Veteran Education Benefits You must:
- Complete an admissions application to TSJC
- Be seeking a degree or certificate program approved for education benefits
- Register for courses which are required for completion of your degree/certificate
- Submit a copy of your class schedule
- Make application for VA benefits through the VA website: http://benefits.va.gov/gibill
- Prior to each semester start date, complete the Intent to Register Application and Check List
- Submit official transcripts from previous institution(s) attended for transfer evaluation
(transcripts should be sent to the Admissions Office at TSJC, 600 Prospect St., Trinidad, CO 81082).
If transferring to TSJC and education benefits were used elsewhere, VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office
- Submit a copy of the Veteran’s DD214 showing the discharge status to the Financial Aid Office
- Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility Letter to the Financial Aid Office
Each semester you must:
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Report any enrollment changes, course drops, withdrawals or any date you stop attending classes
- Complete the complete the Intent to Register Application and Check List prior to each semester start date.
It is imperative that you complete and submit this form every semester you wish to use your benefits at TSJC. If we do not receive your submitted form, you will not be certified in the VA system, which will cause a delay in your tuition and fee payments, as well as your housing and book stipends, if applicable.
Enrollment certification will be done according to the Certification Schedule listed below. To assist the VA in making the correct payment, students should immediately notify the School Certifying Official (SCO) of any enrollment changes, course drops, withdrawals, or any dates you stop attending classes. Enrollment will be checked after census date of each semester of attendance and any adjustments will be made at that time. Census date is generally two weeks after classes begin. Please allow the VA 30 days after enrollment certification to pay any benefits to you or the school.
* You are responsible for ALL debts resulting from reductions or termination of your enrollment even if the payment was submitted directly to the school on your behalf.
Within 30-60 days of the beginning of the term, we may certify your enrollment to the VA with zero tuition and fees in order to expedite the process and get your housing and book stipend ready to go. Once the drop date for the full semester passes, we may then submit tuition and fee amounts, which would free up your Financial Aid. When necessary and permissible, bookstore accounts may be set up 2-6 weeks prior to the start of the semester.
(All required paperwork must be on file with the School Certifying Official prior to certification.)
For questions or to set up an appointment, please contact:
School Certifying Official -
Trinidad State Junior College
at (719) 846-5553 or 1-800-621-8752 ext. 5553
For in-person appointments at the Valley Campus, the SCO is generally available the 1st Wednesday and 3rd Monday of the month.