Not a U.S. Citizen

Welcome to Trinidad State!

  1. TSJC Home
  2. Apply
  3. Admissions Checklist
  4. Residency
  5. Not U.S. Citizen

Trinidad State Junior College is an open-door institution which allows any student to attend, regardless of citizenship. A high school diploma or a specific grade point average (GPA) is not required. However, most students must take a placement exam to ensure they have the ability to benefit from the level of instruction offered at TSJC.

Please select the option below that best describes your situation to see how to establish residency:

You Qualify for Colorado ASSET
Senate Bill 13-033, also known as ASSET, was signed into Law April 29, 2013. To qualify for Colorado ASSET in-state tuition a student must:

  • Have attended a public or private high school in Colorado for at least three years immediately before graduation or completion of a general equivalency diploma (GED) in Colorado. Three years is defined as six academic terms from three separate academic years immediately preceding graduation or completing the GED.
  • Be admitted to a Colorado college or university within 12 months of graduation from a Colorado high school or completion of a Colorado GED, OR graduated from a Colorado high school or completed a Colorado GED before September 1, 2013 and have continuous physical presence in Colorado for 18 months preceding the start date of classes.

To receive in-state tuition:
In Colorado, eligible undocumented students may qualify for ASSET to receive in state tuition and the College Opportunity Fund (COF) tuition discount.

You Have NOT Attended TSJC
If you have never attended TSJC, or have not attended in the past three years as a non-resident.
For a review of your residency classification contact the TSJC Registrar.

Other Residency Options:

  • If you have attended TSJC within the last three years as a non-resident OR
  • If you are under 23 and your parents/legal guardians do not live in Colorado OR
  • If you have missed the deadline to submit the Correction to Application for Tuition Classification form
 For a review of your residency classification contact the TSJC Registrar.

You are a U.S. citizen; your parents are not
You may qualify for in state tuition if you meet the Colorado High School/GED graduate requirements. If you don't meet those requirements you may still be eligible for in-state tuition.

To receive in-state tuition

  1. Contact the TSJC Registrar.
  2. Provide your parents' physical presence documentation and your intent documentation.
  3. Submit the form and documentation to the Registrar's Office at your campus no later than 30 days after the start of your earliest course. If you miss the deadline, your petition will be reviewed for the following semester.
  4. Look for a decision in your CCCS student email account within two weeks.

You have a Visa from Another Country
Non-immigrants in the following categories cannot qualify for in-state tuition:
• F-1 and F-2
• H-3 and H-4 (if the visa holder is the spouse or child of an H-3)
• J-1 and J-2 (if the J-1 visa holder is a student or trainee
• M-1 and M-2
Other types of visas are eligible to petition for residency.
For additional information, please contact the Registrar's Office.

You are an Asylee/Refugee

To qualify for in-state residency if your I-94 was issued over 12 months ago and does not have an expiration date, and you meet the 12 month residency requirements:

  1. Provide a copy of your I-94 to the Registrar's Office at your campus. If you do not have a copy of your I-94, you can get a copy at the Department of Homeland Security website.
  2. The deadline to submit your I-94 or a correction to application for tuition classification is the earliest drop date for your courses. If you miss the deadline, you will need to submit a petition for residency.
  3. If after providing your I-94 your residency status does not change and you believe you qualify for Colorado residency, please contact the Registrar's Office.