Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content


TSC Student Complaint Procedure

The Colorado Community College System (CCCS or the System) is governed by the State Board for Community Colleges and Occupational Education (SBCCOE). The SBCCOE governs the 13 state system colleges. Student complaints go to the Colorado Department of Higher Education.

  • To file a complaint using the Trinidad State College Complaint Form
    - (click here).
  • To file a complaint with the Colorado Department of Higher Education
    - (click here).
  • To file a complaint based on discrimination and/or harassment based on federal or state civil rights laws, please refer to the college’s civil rights procedure
    - (click here).
  • To file a complaint or report sexual misconduct or for information about sexual misconduct, discrimination, violence against women or harassment
    - (click here).
    To review the System Policy (SP4-120A)
    - (click here).

Trinidad State College is committed to providing an environment that supports teaching and learning and that encourages open and effective communication and respect for all members of the college community. To that end Trinidad State encourages all students to first direct concerns to the individual or department with whom the concern resides. The college believes that many concerns can be resolved through an open, honest dialogue between the persons involved. In cases where that may not be possible, the TSJC Student Complaint Procedure can assist in facilitating a resolution. The procedure can also provide students an opportunity to present issues or concerns with which they need assistance and which they feel warrant action on the part of the college.


Complaint –
A complaint can be filed regarding any alleged action which violates or inequitably applies CCCS State Board Policies, System President’s Procedures or TSC College Procedures. The student filing the complaint must be personally affected by the violation or inequitable action.

Non-grievable complaint –
Matters over which the college has no authority to act; grades and other academic decisions unless there is an allegation that the decision was motivated by discrimination and/or harassment.

Vice President of Student Affairs –
The person at TSC to whom student complaints are initially directed and who will assure that the complaint is communicated to the appropriate party for investigation and resolution.


All complaints should be filed as soon as possible after the occurrence. A significant delay in reporting can make it more difficult to investigate and address a concern.

The complaint must be submitted in writing to the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs and must include the name and contact information for the student who is communicating the concern. The complaint should clearly and concisely describe the concern and the desired remedy. Supporting materials should be submitted in writing as soon as possible, including information on any informal efforts to resolve the issue.

The Trinidad State community benefits from both informal and formal procedures that encourage the prompt resolution of complaints and concerns that students may have about the implementation of the policies and procedures that govern the college.

Informal Complaint Process

Students are encouraged to resolve concerns through direct communication with the individuals or offices involved. The Vice President of Student Affairs or his/her designee can facilitate this communication. If an informal process is not successful or if the student or the college chooses not to utilize an informal process, the Vice President will open a formal complaint.

Formal Complaint Process

Once a timely complaint is filed with the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs, the complaint will be directed to the division of the college within which the complaint resides (Student Affairs, Academic Affairs, Administrative Services or Administration). The appropriate administrator will determine if the complaint can be addressed by the college. If it is determined that the concern is non-grievable, the student who filed the complaint will be notified.

If the matter can be addressed by the college, the appropriate administrator will request a meeting with the student filing the complaint and with the individual(s) to whom the complaint is directed. Both parties will be given the opportunity to discuss the allegations and offer documentation, witnesses or other information pertinent to the complaint. The administrator may also request meetings with other relevant individuals as part of the investigation. Neither party is allowed representation in the meetings as they are administrative and not legal proceedings.

Based on a preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not), the administrator will issue a decision, in writing, to both the student with the concern and the individual to whom the concern is directed. The decision will affirm or deny the merits of the complaint, and if affirmed, will suggest a resolution.

Click here to file a complaint using TSC's Complaint Form.
This form can be submitted electronically or in hard copy to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Complaint Incident Report Forms:
- Civil Rights Grievance
- Non-Civil Rights Grievance

Please refer to the CCCS System President’s Procedure SP 4-31 for additional information - (click here).

If you have any questions or need assistance filing a complaint, please contact the Vice President or Dean of Students at 719-846-5643 or 719-589-7050.