Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Undocumented Student Information

Trinidad State College is an open-door institution which allows any student to attend, regardless of citizenship. We value our diverse student body. People with varied experiences make our campuses and class discussions richer.

To help you better understand your options here's a list of resources for immigrants and refugees.

Immigration Resources in Colorado

Trinidad State College values and respects all of our students. Because many of our students have questions about immigration matters affecting them, their families and other loved ones, we are providing this information.

  • Catholic Charities – Immigration Services
    Phone: (719) 543-1741 (Pueblo)
    Phone: (719) 866-6515 (Colorado Springs)
    By appointment only. Legal advice regarding immigration status, immigration issues, assistance with immigration applications, and information on becoming a legal permanent resident or citizen.
  • Legal Night at Mi Casa Resource Center
    360 Acoma St, Denver, CO 80223
    Phone: (303) 573-1302
    On the third Tuesday of each month, from 5:30-7:00 p.m., volunteer attorneys provide free legal information regarding immigration, credit, housing, criminal issues, employment issues, and family law (cannot escort clients to court).
  • Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network
    Phone: (303) 433-2812
    Hotline for detained individuals and family members: (303) 866-9308
    Legal services for immigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers who are facing deportation at the GEO/ICE immigration detention center in Aurora, CO; free legal and support services for survivors of human trafficking and sex trafficking.

Additional Legal Resources

  • Know Your Rights: The ACLU provides information on your rights if you are stopped by the police.
  • The Administrative Relief Resource Center has a search engine that allows you to get a list of all legal services near you.
  • The American Immigration Lawyers Association has an online directory of attorneys.
  • Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC) has an anonymous Dreamer Intake Service to help Dreamers check whether they are eligible for alternative relief.
  • Immigration Law Help has a searchable online directory of over 1,000 free or low-cost nonprofit immigration legal services providers in all 50 states.
  • The National Immigrant Justice Center allows you to request a legal consultation online or by phone (312) 660-1370.
  • The National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild has a state-by-state online find-a-lawyer tool.
  • The United States Department of JusticeExecutive Office for Immigration Review provides information on how to find legal representation.
  • United We Dream provides information on how to get help.

Below we address some of questions undocumented students may have.

Does TSC ask students for immigration status?
Trinidad State College is an open-door institution which allows any student to attend, regardless of citizenship. We do not ask for immigration status, but we ask about citizenship status. This helps determine your tuition. Undocumented, ASSET (Advancing Students for a Stronger Economy Tomorrow), and DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) students should choose the “Non-U.S. Citizen” option on the application. Learn more about the non-U.S. Citizen option below.

How does immigration status affect tuition?
Undocumented students cannot receive federal or state financial aid. They may have to pay non-resident tuition.
• In Colorado, undocumented students can apply for ASSET to pay in-state tuition and receive the COF discount (College Opportunity Fund).
• ASSET students who have also applied for and received Federal DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) can qualify for in-state tuition and the COF tuition discount.
• Undocumented students may apply for scholarships, including scholarships awarded by the TSC Educational Foundation.

Would TSC share immigration status with federal immigration officials?
In most cases, the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects education records. We would only share information about immigration status if an official produces a legal order (subpoena or search warrant) to seek information on a student. We review all legal orders with our attorney before sharing documents.

What does TSC do to ensure students and staff are not discriminated against?
We believe in diversity and inclusion. We don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment. Our policies mandate no discrimination or harassment of students, or employees based on race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, or many other protected classes.

What should I do if I believe I am the victim of discrimination or harassment?
Visit this page, TSC will take necessary action.

What is DACA?
DACA is based on an order from former President Obama. It is a federal policy that applies to many young people who immigrated to the United States as children. It allows them to apply for a renewable, two-year period where the government would defer action on their immigration status. It also may provide them authorization to work.

President Trump has recently issued a memorandum rescinding the establishment of DACA and has outlined a plan for phasing out DACA. If you are a recipient of DACA, consider contacting an immigration attorney now to determine your options. Additional information can be found at American Council on Education DACA Issue Brief.

What is ASSET?
ASSET is a Colorado state law that allows some immigrant students to receive in-state tuition at Colorado public higher education institutions. It does not affect immigration status or lawful presence. ASSET cannot be rescinded by a president or federal administration in the same way DACA can. Visit the ASSET website for more information.

Where can I find out about immigration rights?
Consult an immigration attorney. For your own protection, do not seek advice from anyone except licensed immigration attorneys. You can find an immigration attorney from the American Immigration Lawyers Association in English or Spanish.

What about international students?
Undocumented, DACA, and ASSET students are not international students. International students have a student visa or intend to get a student visa to attend TSC. Their main residence is outside the United States. Trinidad State welcomes students from around the world. For questions about international student issues, visit this page.

The external links in this document are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by TSJC of any of the services, information or opinions in those links. TSC bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.